Seeking the Common Good

July 26th, 2011

The insanity of the collective egoic mind is rapidly taking our species to the brink of disaster. Evolve or die: that is our only choice now. Eckhart Tolle

In this short video, I describe the devastation when ego takes over intentions. I gave this talk just as Rupert Murdoch’s media scandals were coming to light. This and the inability of politicians to work together are two current examples of ego run amok.  In the video, I share a light hearted battle with ego as well. When we remember that we belong to each other, our intentions will set the world back on a healthy path.

1. A beautiful message Ian. And so full of life. People ARE being drawn off track by their own egos. You are right – we were made to be unified – to work together for each other and with each other. The problem is – people aren’t able to change the heart.  Once the heart is made new – ego begins to shrink to it’s rightful place – to a place that let’s me know I am important – but not at the expense of others.  This is what Jesus did for me. Love your message but I couldn’t have done it on my own.  I needed divine help.

thanks for writing Colleen (here and Twitter). I agree. We don’t even know where our help comes from a lot of the time. It comes as if from outside of us, and then its up to us to make the sometimes hard choices. I look forward to more dialogue with you.

3. Michael Kowalski says:

Thanks for this Ian.  Whenever I examine my own personal motivations, the more I realise just how much so many of these are driven by my desire to be seen as a particular type of person.  The need to lay down the ego for the benefit of ourselves and others is an important message and this video puts it across in both an entertaining and succinct way.

By the way, I hope you enjoy the World Cup later this year and maybe with a bit more progress, we might see a decent England team in contention.

Great comment Michael. Thank you. You are obviously an honest and self aware person, even if a little delusional about the England Rugby chances :) Keep in touch, especially during the World Cup. Ian

5. Mary Terhune says:

Thank you Ian, a lovely message, soothing to the Soul’s ears.

6. JASNA says:

When  is a person or group  with his EGO harmful for other people or for environment,we must tell or show to this person or group ,that we will not accept  their bad actions.Health and life on our planet shall be protected from wars and toxins as soon as it is possible.When people ignored bad actions and say nothing against them,it is not good for us now and fot the future..1 Person=1 Life

7. Hunter sparrow says:

Good morning, Really great talk about the ego. Thank you for spreading the message :)  look forward to more talks

8. Kristine says:

A Course in Miracles is hammering this home to me right now. Just when I think I have ego licked–along comes a situation in which I don’t. Great reminder. I’ll keep up the practice.

9. Thanks for sharing that nice talk. I’m trying to find a good definition of “ego” that seems right to me and I enjoyed listening to what you had to say.