Social Media and Donuts

April 15th, 2013

donuts

I’m a huge fan of social media. It’s in my top 10 life passions. I love it for its power to keep me connected to family and friends who live all over the world. I love it as a super efficient means to share wisdom, and create inspirational conversations. I love it for its ability to organize and empower change. I love it because it’s fun, sometimes almost addictive. Maybe most of all, I love it for its democratic ability to put power back into the hands of people through the easy sharing of information.

Social media is not perfect. It has its holes. But as Oscar Wilde said, “The optimist sees the donut, the pessimist sees the hole.” So let’s enjoy the donut, and not focus on the hole.

Or else there’s the quote from the 1980 movie Caddyshack, “The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, ‘A flute with no holes is not a flute. And a doughnut with no hole is a danish.’”

Maybe it’s the holes which give social media its charm, like a donut. It has to change and adapt to the needs of the time.

I love social media and I also love donuts. So in the spirit of fun, here is a summary of social media in relation to a donut. (I borrowed some of these from a meme that did the rounds a while back)

How Does Social Media Work (with tongue firmly planted in donut-filled cheek)

Twitter- I ate a donut

Facebook- Here’s a pic of me eating a donut

Instagram- Here’s a black and white pic of me eating a donut in Paris

You Tube- Here’s a video of me eating a donut

Etsy- Buy my poster which says “WWJD- Who Wants Jelly Donuts”

Linkedin- My first job was at Krispy Kreme

Pinterest- Here’s the recipe for my famous grilled cheese donut

Myspace-  my new band is called “Glazed Donuts”

Spotify- here’s my list of 4k songs with the word donut in the title.

Second Life- I eat donuts for breakfast/ lunch and dinner and still have the perfect physique

Ebay- Bidding starts at 1k for my donut with the imprint of Jesus in it

Match.com- I like movies, walks on the beach and DONUTS.

Wikipedia- The hole in donut came about when a ship captain impaled a Danish on the spoke of his steering wheel to keep it safe while he steered. Or maybe not. And who took the ugh out of doughnut? Dunkin Donuts apparently.

Well that’s a start. I’m sure others could add to the list. As Homer Simpson said, “Donuts. Is there anything they can’t do?” Could the same be said for social media? Have we seen its full potential yet? I think not. And I’m excited to be part of the evolution. I’m going to write more this week about social media’s potential and pitfalls.

1. Jenny Argante says:

But who adds the sprinkles to your doughnut?

theres an app for that Jenny

3. Barry Lee Marris says:

EMAIL:  SOOOO YESTERDAYI thought I was so with it (we used to say “hip”).  And as a certified old coot (69), I was pretty proud of myself for my infatuation and familiarity with email.  It seemed to be so current and so smart (we used to say “modern”). I can’t live without it; it is free, it is efficient, it allows for thoughtful communication, and it allows for one to reply at the recipient’s convenience, no immediate response required.  And there was a time, not long ago, when it was so now (modern or hip).   Not so anymore.  Now, (among the younger set) it is so yesterday (old fashioned).    The current de rigueur is text-or-tweet.   Most young users have an email address, but when asked if they use it the answer is “not” (no).   What? Says I, you don’t email?   Totally not, says them.I don’t know why youth has forsaken email, but here’s my take:  it is too ponderous.   For the very reason I like it, it is generally dismissed by youthers.   They want immediate communication, immediate input.   Now, that’s not bad, immediacy does have virtue.   Social media (as it is called, much better than “networking”) has spawned noble international revolution and created a network of world texters and tweeters (“pen pals”) the likes of which could not have been imagined only a few years back.   So, in no way are my observations judgmental, although (as follows) I am critical.   Mass worldwide communication (by the public) is a game changer (“revolutionary”) — it creates a balance weight against corporate controlled media that must be heralded and protected.   Text and tweet your fannies off, it may save the world from tyranny and oppression.Now, back to, my best friend, email.  Remember long distance rates?  Bye-bye.   Remember endless conversations that never got to the point?    Remember forgetting to make the most important point before hanging up, or inadvertently saying something inappropriate?   Remember having to mail a letter in a timely fashion and wait for a response?   Remember having no stamp?   Or mailing or not being able to receive mail on a postal holiday?   How do I love thee, email?  Let me count the ways…The advantages of email are so many that it is silly to even identify them at length.   I think it is the greatest gift of the computer/internet revolution on a personal level because it brings such creative intimacy at the convenience of the user and the receiver for no cost.    Yes, the postal service suffers, and Craigslist has probably single-handedly stolen huge classified revenues from struggling newspapers, BUT, the people have been given a great gift.   It may be so yesterday to some, but for some of us it rocks.My criticism of abandoning email in favor of other social media forms is the same old complaint English teachers have always lamented:  good communication suffers when bad communication suffices.   It’s a lazy way to write, a capricious way to articulate, a second rate expression process.     It will always be that way, I guess, as long as there are shortcuts.  I won’t bring up the death of spelling, (or should I say spllng?) that’s another essay.    And, who knows, maybe the only reason I’m being critical is because it takes more dexterity and eyesight than this old coot has or needs to text on those tiny smart phone keypads.   I’m just envious.I can get this piece to Soulseeds at the push of a Submit button, which I will do after a spl chk.  The publisher can email me back and tell me it is the dumbest thing  ever posted (written) with the push of a Reply button (she won’t, I hope).   How long would that simple exchange by Pony Express have taken just a few years back?   I suppose I could text it or tweet it…but I don’t know how.  I’m an old coot, emailus antiquitus.   Barry Lee Marris

Awesome Barry. You outa dip your keypad in twitter, and see what you think.

5. Barry Lee Marris says:

What dip do you recommend?   a remoulade?  a tartar?  perhaps a lime/cilantro?   Oh, I’ve got it:  a chimichura,  that goes good with everything…thanks, couldn’t resist dipping in… Barry Tweetless

6. Virginia Urbach says:

To Barry Lee Marris, I like your thinking and your attitude. Hilarious! Soulseeds, five out of thirteen on your list I suppose is not too shabby?  Seriously, Facebook has been good therapy for me in the last two years. I have met so many bloggers (on social network) that I can relate to and I have felt a connection to many of them. You, of course, are on the top of the list of “social therapist”. Thank you!

7. Sidney Peck says:

Hilarious!  I love every word.  I almost spit out my coffee when I read the Match.com one.  So fun!  Thanks for sticking with me on Twitter ♥

8. Bharathan Rajaram says:

Thanks for sharing this article. It’s a fun read, and a reminder to make sure we keep adapting and try to improve social media to minimize the effects of this hole.

9. Randy M. says:

I like the WWJD interpretation.  I am still thinking what to do with the donut on Tumbler.  Look at this picture of a sexy donut?

10. Cassandra says:

Love this! I sometimes feel like I’m a social media cheerleader. I find myself trying to lure people to the fun of Twitter. I resisted a lot of social media for a long time, but I’m so glad I finally caved. I still send handwritten letters, though. No need to throw out the classics!