A Special Delivery

July 6th, 2010

It begins with a toot of his horn, then a hearty wave and cheery “Hello”. The children run eagerly to say hi to him and collect the mail, chatting happily. They drag their friends out to meet him and stop whatever game they’re in the middle of to see him. Our visiting parents all know him, and he knows them by name. He brightens an ordinary moment and gives the kids treats.

But it is not about the candy; you would miss the whole entire point if you thought it was about the candy. No it’s so much more.

And this is how the story goes.

7yr old screams to brother “Its Dave, its Dave” as they scramble to get their shoes on. Together they race each other to their friend in the postal truck. But of course Dave doesn’t work every day of the week. And on his off days we have a different postman. This postman is your regular guy. Oh he’s fine, he gets the job done; no fuss no bother, just delivers. He’s ok. But he’s not Dave.

“Oh bummer, it’s the other one today” they tell me with slumped shoulders

“What’s his name?” I ask. None of us know.

One day I asked the kids who they thought was having more fun doing the job, Dave, or the guy without a name. They said Dave of course.

I asked “How can one postman enjoy it so much, and the other not seem to, when in fact they do the exact same job?” I point out how they drive the same truck and drop off the same mail to the same houses. They see the same people; they have the same breaks and see the same things. Yet one is happy, and one seems bored.

“Hmmm” it didn’t make sense. It was a puzzle. 1 job, 2 men, and a world of difference.

In our family, Dave has become the living example of what you put out is what you get back. We’ve discussed that how we treat others will affect how they treat us, how happiness grows outward and about the laws of attraction. Dave plants kindness and a beautiful garden of possibility surrounds him.

So if one of the kids complain that something will be boring or that they don’t want to go somewhere, I now ask a simple question,

“Are you Dave, or no-name? Who do you want to be? What do you want to create? What do you want to plant in your day?”

They will fight over being Dave, “No I’m Dave today” they argue.

“Stop it”, I say,

“We can all be Dave.”

1. I love this…a perfect example of how to live life. I aspire to be Dave every day. Hope you don’t mind if I repost and direct people to your wonderful site. thanks!

2. meg says:

Thanks Francesca, Dave is certainly an inspiration to many. I’m glad you like the site, come back and visit!

3. Joyce says:

Meg,
    We had Dave for 8 years until they changed his route last year.  We miss him; he would toot his horn wherever he was – in his own car in the Meijer parking lot.  He knew us and we knew him,  he knew how to make us all one family!

4. Dee says:

WOW!!!!!!  I loved this story…plan to share it on Sunday when we sit as a family to *discuss* things. What a FANTASTIC example of how we should aspire to live our lives! :) Striving to be *Dave*…..thank you!

5. The cup half empty or full. Sure  it does have something to do with our personalities and circumstance but most of the time its a daily choice, that will determine our long term happiness. Thanks Meg for constantly reminding me and my family to be like ‘Dave’,and for not taking this amazing life with its ups and downs in you other blogs  for granted.

6. Hi Meg, I’m a newcomer to the site (met Ian on Twitter recently :) ) & this is such a lovely website!
    I absolutely love the ‘Dave’ story & hopefully it’s ok to repost it on my private blog for my friends to enjoy also? (with a link back here of course…& orders to come & investigate! lol)

I am going to remember this…& I shall be ‘Dave’ as often as I can! :) xx

7. Meg says:

Hi Julia, Welcome! I’m so glad you’re here and please feel free to go ahead and share Dave’s story. It’s great to shine a light on those who bring so much happiness to the world.

Thanks for visiting and see you again soon :)

8. I just popped over from the Fishful Thinking facebook page to read this. Awesome story. We need more “Dave”s in this world. :)

9. Meg says:

Welcome Kelli, thanks for visiting! I just love the Fishful way of thinking :)

10. Cindy says:

He’s still here–wearing the same smile and making us all feel great.  Thanks for writing this.  Has he ever seen it?

11. Gerry says:

It appears to me that Dave was treated differently than ‘no-name’.  Why not find out ‘no-names’ name. Why are we treating him differently than we do the Dave’s in the world. When love is unconditional and are actions are kindness to all and love to all, the world will change and there will be no more ‘no-names’!