The Bird Feeder.

July 26th, 2010

He stands, he waits. He has all the patience required for such a job.

I have all these bird feeders about. You see, I’m a bit of a bird woman (not one of those ones who feed pigeons in parks…not yet, not today)

I love birds, their appearing,
right there, then dashing off.
Oh come back, you just arrived,
And then they would.

He continues to stand, hands held out, still.

I make sure the feeders are full. Always having seed on hand.
I yell at pesky squirrels.
They don’t listen; it’s a battle I continue in mock disgust.

He knows they will come, believing they can hear his voice and understand the inner quiet hopes of a 10 year old boy.

No restraints, the sky really is their limit. They live the dreams of children, to fly.
High. Haven’t we all, dreamed those dreams of freedom? To be above looking down, to see the big picture, carefree?

He is grounded, not moving. No wings. No need for the big picture, he has now.

I watch, through the window. He stands out on the front lawn, motionless. Beautiful.

Please, please……just fly down and feed from his hands today. He’s been waiting for you. He is loyal. Yet the birds fly past him so he tells himself a story as to why they didn’t visit today, a story that ends with, maybe tomorrow.

I watch and learn. His patience and his dreams for a world connected by hope for all the tomorrows hint at more than I can see.

Of all the feeders I have, he is my favourite.

Copyright (C) 2010 By Meg Lawton. All Rights Reserved.

1. Carol Flett says:

Beautiful piece!

2. Joy Cambell says:

It’s a cool winter morning here in Australia andI too go out early in the morning to fill the feeders. I’ve just come back in and opened your blogl .The cockatoos are already sitting in the gum trees waiting. The galahs will screech if I’m late! But the bright coloured lorikeets will dart down first, noisily jostling and keeping the bigger birds at bay. I talk to them as I go out, also hoping that they might feel safe enough to stay as I fill the feeder– but no, their nervousness kicks in and they flutter back to the safety of the trees. But it is still the best part of the day for me as we talk to each other and acknowledge each other’s presence.
    Thanks for the wonderful sense of connection I feel with you today!

3. Karen Richards says:

I just finished reading and looked up to see a hummingbird at my feeder – and while I was reading, I thought of my daughter who has recently spread her wings with turning 16 and getting her drivers license and becoming very social and even asking to take flying lessons – yes, real big birds called airplanes!  She dares to ask for more than I did at 16 and she pursues her dreams with passion.  I am spreading my wings as well.  I am still here for my family but I have more time to care for myself, feed my own dreams.  With patience, the chickadees will trust you and sit in your hand – my daughter did it when she was 10 – I remember that day like it was today.  Thank you for helping me remember all of this.  Time to go refill the feeders!

4. Susan Trittin says:

Beautiful.  I also love birds-outside, not confined, and enjoy your writing.
    Thanks, Meg

5. Meg says:

I love all these bird loving stories, thanks for sharing.  And I really appreciate your  wonderful feedback, Namaste.

6. erotyka says:

Yeah, great website! I like it very much.