What Lies Beneath

October 4th, 2010

peace

Stop what you’re doing and listen.
Put it down, all of it.
The laundry basket full
of other peoples things.

Their thoughts, and your old stories
Of who you should be
tangled up with mismatched socks
and worn-out layers

Now Shhh, don’t move, don’t talk.
It’s simple, and just about impossible
Be still, silent.
Just listen.

She will creep out from under the pile
if you let her.
She’s been hoping and waiting
for you to notice

She may whimper at first
or bound out boldly
after too many years
being trapped underneath.

She
is the deep down inside you.
Perhaps the hidden, unknown, forgotten
You.

Your voice,
The one you may have lost
When you became another.
A mother.

She may need to travel or sing
Paint, write or draw.
She could learn to dance, or run.
Anything.

She could play soccer, and wants to fly
Step aside
and trust
for she knows just what to do.

When all is quiet, listen.
Believe her when she speaks
of what lies beneath the lists and chores
and layers of endless things.

So go on, put it all down, and take her hand
For she wants to show you a secret path,
that leads right back
to you.

Copyright (C) 2010. By Meg Lawton. All Rights Reserved.

1. Beth says:

Simply, thank you.  Perfect day, perfect hour to read these words.  I am experiencing a low point and this is exactly what I needed to hear.

2. Cindy Anderson says:

WOW–Beautiful!

3. Meg says:

I’m so glad we’ve connected. I hope you can hear your voice today Beth, for I’m sure it has some wisdom to share.

4. Poetic and beautifully written with the perfect message. Thanks Meg, for sharing what’s in your heart.

5. meg says:

You’re welcome Jean, thanks for visiting :)

6. Margaret says:

Beautifully written Meg, and true for every age, right up to grandparents and probably great grandparents as well.

7. Are grateful for grant wonderful knowledges. A person’s world wide web can be goodI am thankful for the knowledge that you have got with this blog page. Them programs the best way you understand why area. Saved these pages, will be restored for many more. Anyone, this individual, Stone! I stumbled upon just the details We currently checked all over the place and couldn’t obtain. What a best blog. Such as this internet site your website is one among a brand-new favs.I like this amazing site supplied and it has specified people getting some preference to have great results for some reason, consequently many thanks

8. Norma Godden says:

Thank you, Meg.  Brilliant!!  You have reached the spot in so many of us that needs that little prod and cuddle.
    When the light is obscured and blurred your words help one to focus again and move once more toward the ‘light’.

9. Suzi k says:

Wow, Meg!! I love your insight!

10. CRae says:

As a Mom we do lose ourselves.  These is awesome! It comes at a time that it was needed..Thank You so much!

11. Joan Cook says:

Oh yes, Meg…right on target.  That’s why getting old is delightful.  It took me all this time to allow that little me out from under the laundry.  So glad you are loving her as young as you are.

12. Gail says:

Thank you so much. My dad passed away last week and this is helping me reorient myself. Appreciate it!

13. What beautiful  and affecting prose. I felt a profound stillness as I read your words, so much so I think it is the perfect time to meditate!  Thank you for sharing this deeply personal & profound poem.

14. Beth G. says:

How wonderful and came at the perfect time for me to read! Thanks so much for your beautiful poem and poignant message.

15. Lois says:

16. Lia says:

I love this!!

17. Laurie says:

This is good medicine for me as I prepare for my youngest daughter to graduate and head off to college.  As a long-time single parent, my identity has always been defined by what I do for a living and being a Mom.  While the Mom part never ends, it will change now as both are in college and living away from home.  My home will be empty by August.  That frightens me but is also a time, as the author notes, to listen and consider who I will be in this next phase of my life.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

18. Flavia says:

Please  remember that becoming a Mother is a blessing not afforded to all. A blessing too often forgotten when tiredness and routine give way to complaining about loss of privacy, loss of self and time alone. Spare a thought for those women who longed for nothing more than to hold their own child and who’s arms are empty.

19. Mohana says:

It all begins with the moment of stopping when caught up in the mundane to reassess priorities. Even when I’m in the business of the day to day, and my child wants me to read a book or help with something, the laundry is not that important. Thank you for this reminder.

20. Susie Caron says:

Meg, this is lovely! It is something I have lived and believe for all my mommy clients and all women everywhere. I believe in the person inside, created to be different, unique and wonderful truths.

21. Jyoti says:

Such a beautiful reminder of who we are, our core essence and a reminder of what is really important – loving ourselves and our kids. Thank you!!! I love your work, truly! Thank you!