Ever noticed that really thin line between a perfectly wonderful moment and hating your entire life? (Please say it isn’t just me! Seriously, please, email me, like, now) It’s like an invisible wire that trips you up without warning or notice. Oh you’ll be going about your day gaily with a song in your heart and a skip in your step, them bam, you’re flat on your face eating dirt.

Recently for a short few minutes I thought I might just have a chance to win “Earth Mother of the Year” and even went looking for my application. It was a rare moment when my children were happily playing in a cardboard box, the smell of fresh baked organic whole grain muffins wafted throughout the house. Children’s laughter filled my heart and the birds sang a song of praise for all the goodness I had personally brought to the day.

I whispered a thankful prayer to the universe for my amazing life, as happiness and peace washed over my soul.

“Damn I’m good” I thought to myself, and was on the verge of calling a friend to tell them just how perfect my life was, when bam, on my face eating dirt.

Oh I don’t know the details but the screeching voice of my 6yr old crying though desperate tears “I’m dying” are all that remain with me this day.

Was she badly injured you ask? Perhaps some terrible accident with the cardboard box, a paper cut across her jugular? No, the 6 yr old was, thirsty. And well, one thing lead to another and within seconds the birds had fallen from the trees and the muffins were burnt.

I’m constantly amazed at how children can catastrophise. I’m so glad we outgrow crying because we’re too hot, thirsty or bored. I’m so glad we no longer cry, “I’m dying” when we’re thirsty expecting others to run with a cup of water and place it lovingly at our lips. I’m so glad I’ve grown out of the stage of catastrophising every little thing, and being so quick to feel like my day is ruined because someone didn’t act the way I expected them to. Phew, it’s so nice to be a grown up without having tantrums without the high drama, to have patience with what is and compassion for what isn’t.

But man I hate this dirt in my mouth and I’m dying for a drink.

1. Myriam says:

Happens to me all the time Meg!  4 daughters…two of them teens, one very much a preteen….sometimes I just want to run away!  But I still wouldn’t trade mothering for anything in the world.  I still wish I had birthed 2 more children and a boy.

2. Kathlyn says:

Love this Meg.  Fits me perfectly right now. 3 daughters and catastrophe runs rampant at my house.  Glad to know I’m not alone!

3. meg says:

No, you are most certainly not alone- none of us are!

4. Kenneth Vogt says:

It might be more accurate to say that most people don’t outgrow “catastrophising”, they just internalize it. The only difference between adults and children on that score is that the adults bother to hide their displeasures. At least kids rid themselves of whatever problem it is they are making real. Patience is useful, but there is something better yet: http://www.veraclaritas.com/the-limits-of-patience/

5. Pippa says:

It is hugely reassuring to know that such experiences are shared – though why we don’t learn from them is another matter. When you have experienced enough of the bad – dirt in the mouth times, it is very humbling and makes me see the good times as “credit in the bank” that will help me to keep  going when it gets tough. I am no doubt my harshest judge and try to quell those inner voices that tell me that I am in fact rubbish, whatever outward appearances say. Such black and white, okay/not okay  thinking is not helpful though so easy to fall into – about myself and about others – the grey alternative means tolerating the ambiguity and pain that goes with it.

As ever just so good to know that it is not a lone struggle – esp when others – from the outside, seem just fine!!

6. haha love this. It’s exactly why our Whatever song is so popular with all ages. Don’t mean this as a plug at all haha just sayin’. But whatever. However you want to take it :-) PS Great post. Sharing/tweeting/pinning because hey, that’s just what I do. Love you.

7. hahaha We have a song called Whatever I penned at the request of a teen who was complaining her mom might be “Just a wee bit hormonal!” I’d tell you more about Whatever but…ugh, no need…whatever. You’ve explained it all beautiful right here already. You are SO right. I love your posts. They make my day. But, whatever. Don’t want to get too worked up about it.

8. Bill says:

This is very good. I know the thin line between the seemingly great and the seemingly horrible day very well. Glad to hear you feel it too. Perception is not always reality, but it’s not always easy to remember when the world “seems” to be going to hell all around you.  Thanks for sharing.