The Worldwide Web

August 9th, 2011

My husband, children and I would like to take this opportunity to formally thank all my girlfriends (past present and future) for my mental health.

In the past 20 years I have moved often; from towns, cities, countries, and hemispheres. After unpacking enough boxes to find clean underwear and a favourite toy or two, on the top of my to do list is “Make friends”. This is closely followed by some other essential items such as: find a house to live in, schools for the kids, buy a car, and ask around for a good hairdresser.

I arrive in a place, open up my trusty bag of gathered social skills and set about getting to know people. Sometimes this has worked, sometimes people run screaming. Others will stand at a safe distance in their fire resistant clothing, or stand too close while telling me their about their ingrown toenail. We all have our ways; we all want the same thing.

To be known. And once known, to be recognized with a smile.

A bad day just isn’t as bad when shared with a girlfriend who knows when to nod in the rights places even if they haven’t got a clue what you’re babbling about. A good day is even better when shared with a girlfriend who feels happy for no other reason than that you’re happy.

Friendship is trial and error. Some stick, others take effort, and some just never really have the trust to give it a go. But to those I have found who speak the same language, who can laugh as hard with me over absolutely nothing, who I can call on, who can call on me, who know me and don’t hide behind the closest bush but walks forward with a smile (you know who you are)- Thank you.

Our family wouldn’t be the same without you. It may take a village to raise a child, but it takes a world of girlfriends to raise the mother.

1. Steve Platt says:

I always click on and read your blog, Meg.  This time the picture cracked me up.  The email showed the fine slender backsides of four elegantly summer dressed ladies.  The Safari pic was WIDEN considerably!  What a hoot!  Middle age?
    Much love,
    Steve

2. Cathy says:

Meg- really needed to hear this and I know how important female friends are to have. I don’t have many and not sure how to get more. I recently joined Facebook and twitter and I have begun to feel more connected with women but the interactions (shopping, coffee dates, etc) still aren’t there, but I’m working on it.

3. jeanne macdonald says:

Meg, I never moved very far but I moved often when my kids were little
    and making friends wasn’t always easy so I know what you mean.  I had Fountain
    Street church early on and that is how I survived.  Now I have the library  a few friends who are not often available and my Facebook friends,  so thank you for you.

4. meg says:

It’s not always easy finding your “people”, but well worth the hunt. Moving to America proved a lot harder than I expected, but as I’ve discovered it only takes one connection for my world to brighten…..wishing peace and connection to all in this journey. x.

5. Norma says:

Meg, I’ve always believed that if we are willing to listen, we will get the answers we need. Your words are perfect for a current situation in my life. I know it’s not all about me so to those reading this, I apologize; but the “boyfriend” and I broke up just last night due to issues with sharing me with my girlfriends. I knew I made the right decision letting him go when we were unable to work through that, but the timing of your message is, to me, a sign that I did the right thing.
    Thank you.

6. [...] about to be faced with the consequences of your actions – on Earth. As each Living Soul -  and life on earth consists of Souls – receives this Gift of Eternal Life, so you will find it harder and harder to escape from [...]

7. Susan says:

Love the last line, Meg.  So true.It has been and continues to be a privilege to be your friend.

8. Jackie says:

I’m going through the same thing. We moved over the summer and I’m doing my best to meet new friends… It’s hard to find that right fit! I’m so blessed to have a wonderful best friend- she lives on the other side of the country but one phone call to her and I’m back in my happy place! wonderful post!

9. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I
    am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one
    else know such detailed about my problem. You are wonderful!

Thanks!

10. Cathleen says:

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He used to be totally
    right. This submit actually made my day.
    You can not believe just how a lot time I had
    spent for this info! Thanks!