Message From the Heart.

December 13th, 2011

They say they know,
But they can’t. Not really.
It’s too big for this space, this moment.

They can only ever hear it with their young ears.
And feel it with their expectant hearts.
As it should be.
“Of course” they casually say.
“But Really” I push.

I can’t help myself; it forces its way to the surface.
Sometimes it’s perfect, just right.
Other times, they’re irritated and brush it to the floor.
Not now.

I watch them, wondering if they’ll ever know
these feelings.
How deep and endless they are.
How full to the top and stretched out of shape I am.

I’m practicing.
Placing the words more loosely,
letting it float gently between us.
Lets hold it together, share.
It’s for both of us.

So I will keep trying.
No matter what they do, and who they become.
Forever.
Until my throat is dry and just a whisper crawls out.
“I love you.”

1. Kristen says:

Beautiful and touching. Thank you for putting the feelings into such eloquent words.

2. Anonymous says:

Oh, Meg!  The truth in these words…  I don’t think growing up gives children the understanding of the depth of meaning in those three little words.  For me it took my heart to be crushed, twisted, and shredded through loss and disappointment.  Then…to be bandaged, fixed, and filled back up with love and life.  I figure SOMEDAY my kids will feel everything that I am trying to put into those three little words.  For now, I just get a giggle at the shrug and awkward pat on the back I get from my son and the quick and fleeting kiss and “loveyoutoomom” that I get from my busy college-age daughter.  SOMEDAY maybe I will get it back.

3. meg says:

I guess they can never really “get it’ until they too are parents.  It’s just a part of life’s journey. When they squeeze our dog to near death out of love I try to explain this is what I feel for them x10. They still don’t seem to believe me, but smile knowing how good it feels.

4. Jessica says:

I think one of the main (subconscious) reasons we have children is to begin to understand how loved we are by our own parents — expressed perfectly here.   Beautifully put and poignant.  Mine are young, so I still get the overzealous hugs and hyperbolic compliments…I’m dreading the day they turn into casual “loveyoutoo’s”.  *sniff*    :-)

5. mia says:

*speechless

6. Frances says:

I needed this post today. My daughter is 25 and trust me, even at that age they are a hand full and I needed to be reminded that love is forever no matter the challenge. You never give up on them even if they are near to 30.

Thanks!

Frantastically yours,
    Frances

7. Ita C. says:

Writing from the child’s perspective, this poem works both ways! It took the recent death of my Dad’s only sibling for him  to say those words to me, after almost 30 years of us both knowing and feeling it, but only I being able to say it. He’s from a time when such emotions were rarely, if ever expressed; and although we’ve only managed to share it once, I’m looking forward to hearing it again sometime!!

Sometimes love is understood with just a look, a nod, a hug, without any vocal expression, but it’s always  nice to hear those words and appreciate them! Thank you for such beautiful poetry, and such wonderful words!xx
    Ita C

8. Meg says:

I appreciate you sharing your stories on this post, thank you all.

9. Anandras says:

I Love You Too

10. Susan says:

Brought tears to my eyes. Best yet.

11. Joan Cook says:

I soooo know what you say.  My sons are 43 and 45, are both very involved Dads.  I can see that they now know that to have a child is to put your heart outside your body.