The Acceptance Speech.

January 17th, 2012

In the unlikely event of receiving the “Mother of the Year Award”, I’ve been practicing my acceptance speech only to myself in hushed tones. I know it’s probably unnecessary but a girl needs her dreams.  Today I share this dream with you, it goes something like this-

Firstly, I do NOT trip over my sexy long evening gown on the way up to the podium, and say in a confident yet sincere gentle voice while making the appropriate amount of eye contact and heartfelt pauses ………

“Why thank you, I simply cannot believe this is possible, no truly I cannot believe this and neither can my family, loved ones and just anyone who has been within a 10 mile radius of me for these past 17 years. But while I’m here, I have a few people I’d like to thank, for without them I could not possibly accept this award.

First, I would like to thank my daughter for constantly laughing at me so that I don’t take myself too seriously. For telling me when I’m too grumpy, and too loud. For saying my jelly belly is “cute” and cuddling up to me straight after telling me I’m the meanest mother in the world. I’d like to thank her for loving me through it.

I need to thank my middle child for pointing out all the small stuff in the world that I’m too busy to see. The shape of a rock, a tired looking squirrel, the smell of last night’s dinner still in my t-shirt, and telling me when it’s time to dye my grey roots. Thank you for my fresh eyesight.

I would like to thank my teenage son, for allowing me close enough to watch the miracle of growing-up. He has taught me to trust the process, trust others and to even trust myself on occasion. Through him I’m learning the art of letting go and I thank him for this masterpiece.

And lastly I would like to thank my partner in love. For without his fearless questions, endless patience, and bone dry humor I would have been committed years ago. He is strong enough to balance out all my imbalances which is quite the workout. I’d like to thank him for being the one.

These 4 people not only made it possible for me to be in the running, but made me who I am today; a mother with a keen eye, bigger heart, graying roots, and a big ol’ jelly belly.

So finally, I’d like to accept this award on behalf of all the mothers out there who are brave enough accept themselves. (Even while their children keep teaching them daily who they are and are not.) Keep up the good work ladies, I’m rooting for you!”

1. Angela Stanford-Butler says:

Thanks for the insights and the great reminders.  If our beautiful families can accept and love us, jelly, roots, and all, we may as well give in and accept and love ourselves as well!

2. Jesica says:

Loved the article! Great read.

3. naomi says:

What a well written blog. It made my heart feel warm and that you are so lucky to have a wonderful family. I love how you accept yourself as you are. What a great acceptance speech!

4. Bernadette @Betterlove1 says:

that was beautiful. you have a awesome family to be thanful for. keep up the great work of being a mother:-)

5. Heulwen Renshaw says:

You are a simply awesome mother,  and have enough wisdom to understand your family so well that it’s second nature to sort out anything just so. I hope you too, find some time to yourself, to reflect, and have that ‘special’ half hour all to yourself , just to do what you want to do, there is nothing nicer than making time for ‘you’ once in a while, when the need arises. (I enjoy my own company once in a while pottering in the garden, my mind wanders all over the globe!)  Bless you, and thank you for your articles.

6. Meg says:

Thank you all for your generous comments. It’s so important for us mums to give ourselves a break – literally and emotionally.

7. Beautiful Acceptance Speech,  Meg Lawton…Great!
    Gayatri Divine Blog

8. Virginia Urbach says:

Many of today’s busy moms will probably applaud you for being a pillar of strength and your voice echoes the plight of women today. For this and much much more, we give you a standing ovation and to all moms!

9. Anonymous says:

Aw this is great and so very true, it can be difficult to survive motherhood at times and at the end of the day no matter how crap we feel its always our children who give us the reason to carry on and always try to change ourselves for the better. I love that kids just accept us for who we are warts and all.

10. Claudia luiz says:

What a perfect mix of negative and positive. A real gift.

11. It’s just after 7 and this read is a great kick-start to my day.I can’t stop laughing!What a brilliant blog!Thanks a million. :)

12. jim skinner says:

Meg, I always like reading your comments first. Partially because you write in what I call a conversational tone as I do.  Don’t tell Ian, O.K.?  How’s the beach?