A Room with a View

May 1st, 2012

Her eyes dart back and forward, touching everything she sees with her undivided attention. She is 100% committed to the world “My purpose is to see you” she says with a tilt of her head.

Every inch of her being is curious, nosey, and right there in other peoples business. Right there in the business of living. “What’s that? I’ve never in my life seen such a thing! How remarkable! What’s it doing? Where will it go? Why?”

Her breath fogging the window, her nose leaving smears I don’t bother to wipe. For there will be more. Smearing, fogging. Looking, seeing. Seeing each thing a million times over with all the wonder of first discoveries.

She turns her head to me, telling me she is surely the first to witness such amazingness. Out there, through the window, “did you see that? This is just incredible!” My curiously slowly wakes from the warm bed of familiarity.

So I sit right next to her and ask her what she is looking at? What is just so captivating that you do not move for hours in fear of missing a moment?

“See? Right there” she says excitedly, “It’s a squirrel, and look over there I see a bird, oh, and up there…. a leaf! It’s a LEAF MOVING A LITTLE BIT!” She looks from me to the leaf, then back to me, back to the leaf, begging me to see what she sees. “Do you see it?”

Yes, yes I do see it I convince her. Wow, how about that? Yes, it IS amazing. I scratch her chin, pat her head and thank her for showing me the squirrel, bird and leaf. For showing me a whole new world, even though it’s the same one that is there day after day right out my window. And after a moment of gratitude, I figure that a dog’s life, is truly a wonder-filled thing.

1. Sally Biggs says:

Meg,
    Thank you for reminding all of us that our companion animals have much to teach us, to cause us to take second looks at our world and see with new eyes.  Dogs are a blessing to us for so many reasons. They are teachers of love, wayshowers of new perspectives.

2. Lisa Hertz says:

Wow! You are such a wonderful writer! Your compassion just pours out of your words. I love that the story was about a dog, my Charlie has also brought some wonder of old and new to my life!

3. naomi says:

Animals are amazing and make us slow down and appreciate what we have around us especially dogs when they take us on walks and we get to see our environment.

4. Tamara says:

Wonderful — what a gift to give to the person or other creature you are with: “My purpose is to see you!” To fully be present … to give up the distractions of a cell phone or anything else and to really be there — you’ve emphasized vividly what animals can teach us about our purpose.

5. Slack says:

Fantastically written. Straight out – it touched my heart bigtime! I cried as well. What a feeling! I will really appreciate to read your future works. Thanks for being you. :)

6. Rajvi says:

Very well written…

7. Meg.. another wonderful post. You have become like my morning coffee, a necessity for my day. I am watching my dog sleep on my bed right now and wanting to wake her up just so I can sit at the window with her. I am also reminded of the norah jnes song, Man of the Hour – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YvaM9EkH0All my best!Deanne

8. Lorie says:

I was so sure you were going to be talking about a toddler :)  I’m always struck how similarly my little ones and my dog view the world, as if everything were a miracle. Wish we could hold on to that. Thanks Meg!