1. I have a louder than most would agree necessary laugh

2. A wonky social filter that kicks in sporadically.

3. An eye for sorrow lurking in corners.

4. A stubborn unsubstantiated confidence that the best in life will always bob up to the top.

5. I don’t wake up well. If given time and space I defrost about an hour into the morning and am known to be cheery and conversational on a good day.

6. I truly believe that a heart can be opened to anything if the mind gets out of the way.

7. I act more confident than I usually am.

8. I am someone who likes to feel her feet; therefore I am not a winter person. Nor am I a gun person, a vegan person, a boat or long windy road person.

9. I’m impatient with automated machines telling me to repeat myself over the phone, kids asking questions when I’m on the toilet and barking dogs.

10. I love our dog more than I thought possible even when she eats 16 freshly baked organic pumpkin doughnuts and I only got one.

11. I also love my kids. And my husband. Wow- who are these amazing people??? My family astounds me daily as if I somehow got cast into this role I had no business being in. They are soulful, kind and generous. I wonder why I got to be so lucky. I really do. Every day.

12. I’m not extravagant, some may say frugal. I don’t have much time for stuff, I like my ugg boots, a cool ornament my grandma paid for, an old table made by my brother-in-law for our wedding 22yrs ago. But if I have too much stuff it can almost hurt, which is weird.

13. I love food so much I organize family road trips around restaurant reviews. When I remember a vacation, it is the food I think of first. I talk about the food as I eat the food, everyone around me knows if I’ve enjoyed the meal or not. For some reason I think that this might be as important to them as it is to me.

14. I trust a little too easily, as if I’ve never been hurt – but have.

15. I feel things in movies as though they’re happening to me personally. When Fontaine died in Les Miserables, I died. When Nemo got lost, I got lost. This seems to happen in real life too, it’s exhausting.

16. I have dreams too shy for introductions, hiding behind reality only to poke me when I’m not looking. The dreams play and dance while I wait and pounce. It’s a thing we do. Sometimes we snuggle, sometimes I fall flat on my face wondering where the little blighter ran off to.

17. One of my favourite things to do is doing nothing, and everything. I like to be included and left alone- I’m a funny mix like that.

18. My girlfriends keep me sane and mostly out of trouble. Although I do blame them each individually for my weight gain and alcohol consumption. I realise it’s a small price for sanity, so on behalf of my family- I thank them.

19. The older I get the less noise I can manage. I worry I’ll be an old crotchety woman who startles easily.

20. I want my kids to be happy every breathing minute of their lives even though I know this is stupid and not even best for them.

21. My brain works overtime on pointless things like worry and hope. I worry that I wont make a difference, that I am not enough, and what to cook for dinner – usually while lying in bed wide awake at 2am.

22. Symmetry gives me the heebees. I like odd numbers, things off balance and slightly askew. (I added this point so I could end on the number 23, and so I could use the word “askew”)

23. I believe in the light of each day, the opportunity in each breathe and the strength in us all.

I believe that you and I can do good here, that we can figure a few things out and chip away at this big ol’ life filled with barking dogs and doughnuts, windy roads, old tables, loud laughter and Nemo. I figure we just have to sift through all the bits that slap us about and lift us up.

I’ll show you me, if you show me you. We just need to tell each other the truth, introduce ourselves, give fair warning.

So, hi, this is me. You have been warned.

1. joe louis says:

Hey, Meg – i like ur voice just fine ! Heard it tonite 1st time along w/ Ian. So, sing along, sis !

2. Debra Sikanas says:

You are absolutely the only person I am ‘addicted’ to reading on a regular basis.  I am never disappointed!  Your 23 are marvelous and so relateable. Special shout out to your husband’s amazing choice in selecting you as his life partner.  It is likely the only way this community can now bask in your glow.  Namaste!

3. Beth Kindig says:

What a great post! Thanks for your continuing honesty, openness and inspiration.

4. Anonymous says:

Thank you  for your most generous feedback! I really appreciate it :)

5. The joy and humor you have about life shines right through this post: what a joy to read! I wish I knew you in person. :)

6. Angie says:

This is a delightful post! I love getting to know you in such a way and felt like, in your words, I found a kindred soul. Thank you for sharing your insides with me. The part that really got me was the bit about movies. Definite kindred soul there!

7. Pauline says:

Love it!!  RElate to you on about 21 of your  characteristics.  Mothers/ wives/ women, we all have so much in common, in the mixed-up lives we call our common human experiences!!   Love your writing.

8. Kathy Wilson says:

Hi Meg Just a quick note to tell you I loved this post. I too love my dog despite her being spoiled and ridiculous! It is hard to be so personal on so public a forum but it was just what I wanted to read! Thankyou

9. Claudia luiz says:

Utterly divine…
    A little of me: I need people who reveal their love of life to me through lens of what is real to them, not what “should” be….

10. Anonymous says:

hihi – you sound just gorgeous – hmm the little things.

11. bertie says:

You sound simply gorgeous – all the things a woman should be – the little things.

12. Kaz says:

well I have Aspergers (yes women can ) are you sure you haven’t lol! x

13. Jess says:

Holy cow.  Are you a Gemini?  Because this is me almost to a tee!  Except I do love symmetry and even numbers.  Oh and I am a morning person.  I pop right up before the alarm usually.  I love how  you write and I wish I had more time in the day to discuss and discover my soul and inner self :)  CIAO!

14. Carla says:

Reading your words helps  me feel ” normal”. Lol. My brain has become lazy cause I have let it but in the past while you have awoken it with your  quick quirky yet learning pages. Thanks

15. Larry Putnam says:

1) I’m madding in Love,With my Wife & my God <32) Very Loyal 2 my Friends3) Enjoying Retirement4) I Love American!5) 32 Years without a Drink of Alcohol Still working to find a Few more thing about me

16. Larry Putnam says:

Got a Problem of not reading what I type. ReStated I’m Madly in Love with my Wife & God

17. Oz says:

what the hell does a pumpkin doughnut taste like?

18. Susan says:

Absolutely loved this, Meg. And I love that I can “hear” your wonderfully accented & timbred voice as I read. It is a delight & a privilege to know you.Feel free to read my “25 Random Things” and other notes on FB. Love you!

19. Hi, Meg- So lovely to get to know you through this amazing blog post! I especially loved #6 on your list, regarding the heart’s wisdom. Your authenticity shines through- you’re an inspiration. Hope you can check out my website, which is about my quest for wisdom as a “recovering” adoptee. Thanks so much for being YOU.

20. Demery says:

I love the whole post, but I HAVE to comment and say that I love that you used the word ‘Wonky’ – I’m the only person I’ve heard use it and someone always makes fun of me.  I love the word!

21. Jenny says:

You a beautiful and kind and wonderful Meg!  I especially relate to not being able to tolerate “noise” as I grow a little older.  But looking back, when I was a child I loved quiet peace and solitude.  But when the noise happens to be my favorite rock band the Who, then I’m all for it.

22. Jenny says:

You are, not “you”

23. Sonia says:

Awesome post. Just substitute “cat” for “dog” in #10 and you’ve pretty much described me, too. Keep up the great writing. :-)

24. Amber says:

awesome, it touched all those magical notes inside of me too, thank you for sharing :)

25. Meg says:

From one ‘Meg’ to another…. we must have been separated at birth Lol :))

26. Giselle says:

I clicked in because of the outlandish and very human desire to make our kids happy all the time. I was hoping to find a thoughtful blog that dealt with the necessary reality of freeing our children to experience just enough pain and challenges to grow and mature them into resilient, self-sufficient and healthy adults.This is my first visit- so excuse me if I’m missing something. But, I don’t get it. A mature women sat and wrote and then contributed to the world a list of 23 flowery things about her that include: I believe in the light of each day, the opportunity in each breathe and the strength in us all? And then a long list of readers complimented that narcissistic writer on being a beautiful soul? And offered a “Special shout out to your husband’s amazing choice in selecting you as his life partner.”   This was really distressing to read. I feel like I stumbled in to a cult. Meg, you clearly have readers that adore you. You should be more responsible with how you respect the community that you have cultivated and your role in it. Your self consuming importance is unsettling. Knowing that I have surely lost all favor with the devotees here I’m still going to recommend that all of you read Ralph Waldo Emerson’s essay on Self Reliance if you are looking for inspired sustenance. His work is beautiful. It’s edifying. And it’s true. This list is something all together different. This is bizarre and weird.  I’m sorry.  Giselle

27. Beautifully put.  I think it’s a wonderful thing to know yourself so well and be perfectly content with all that you are and are not.  I would like to put “me” on paper like that.  Maybe I will, but right now I am obsessed with other things.  I could write my number 1:  gets obsessed with projects to the point where others notice and remark, often negatively!

28. Mary says:

This is wonderful, Meg.  I love knowing these things about you and I loved your whimsical writing.  Delightful!

29. Meg says:

Thank you Mary. :)

30. Rita Laurie says:

Thank you for sharing Meg.    Am always moved by yours and Ian’s writings …. Love Rita x

31. Elise says:

Thanks for the smile!  Miss you!  Elise

32. April says:

I received a subscriber email from soulseeds this morning linking to this post. Awesomeness! I made my own list to share on my blog. Hooray for vulnerability.

33. You are a great  communicator -vulnerable and yet strong – I feel as though I have met you.