Stepping Out

April 23rd, 2013

meg blog 2It was one of those wet blustery days where if you own a pair of purple patent faux leather boots, you must wear them. I like purple, and I like shiny. Nobody loses when one wears such boots on a grey afternoon.

So our family and my boots dashed in the rain from our  car into a nearby coffee shop. While crossing the street 7 women on an afternoon outing were heading towards us with the same idea. One in particular seemed obviously drawn to my purple boots. She eyed me off jealously, and I thanked her with a smile

We headed in and made our way through the crowd to order something warm and delightful. At which point I realized the group of 7 women were in various stages of transitioning from men. One particularly unfortunate wig choice caught my attention.

We ordered, we ate, we left. Other families seemed to enjoy the scene a little more than their food and stared forgetting that any of these 7 women had real life human feelings. I was horrified at their horror, judgmental stares and sniggers, and mentioned it quietly to my husband after we had left.

10 year old ears pricked up., as 10 year old ears do. “Who was staring? What were they staring at? Why were they being mean?” I gave my short reply, not really wanting to go into it all on a blustery street corner. “Oh that family were staring at a group of transgendered people like they’d never seen anyone like it before”…..
“How did you know they were transgendered?” she asks- I go on about how one was checking out my boots and I noticed her wig………and I babbled on about being born in the wrong body, never feeling fully themselves, the need for people to be authentic, having compassion for those who struggle…..fully seizing this perfect Saturday afternoon teachable moment.

“But why” she asked. A little frustrated I began again to go over my main points about how brave it is to stand in your truth when others don’t understand – when she interrupted me and said.
“No, not why are they transitioning” she said equally frustrated, as if it was all too obvious
“But why was she checking out your boots?”
Apparently the boots required a whole lot more explaining.

1. Marilyn Oria says:

I love it! Yes, I also get ‘stop stating the obvious, Mom’ glares from my daughter! :-)

2. Beautiful! I love the innocence and that is where we should STAY! We are BORN with it, so why is it necessary to change THAT?!Definitely a purple shiny boot kind of day. Cheers!

3. Heather says:

I like the sound of those boots! – and good onya. Kids know when we are speaking from our own passion. I bet your kindness is something they already remember. Actually it’s being simply decent. :-)

4. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much for your comments – i sure do love my boots and my daughter :)

5. Suzi says:

Made my day!!  Shine on!!  You are very gifted, my Meggie!

6. Mandy says:

Thanks for the gift of laughter I received at the end of your article. If only I could remember the day that life transitioned into being so complicated! LOL.

7. connie farell says:

Meg, I just cannot find words to      say how proud of you I am.I don’t think I know anyone else who can          find words to say what they are really thinking, It just amazes me, each time I read your offerings of such wisdom.  I am  just  flattered that I know you.  I bet Ian thinks you are fabulous in how you  can say things we all wish we had thought of!!

8. Marjorie Jones says:

Connie, you are so right but hope you realize you’re no slouch either.  I admire both of you for the way you vocalize your thoughts and feelings, simply awesome both of you.

9. Joan Cook-Howe says:

I once gave my boys a brief answer to a question they had, then wondered at the way they continued to stare patiently at me.  “What? I asked. “You always have a lot more to say than that, Mom” wasthe answer.  I too, seized the teachable moments, but maybe I did it  too often?!

10. Heidi Green says:

I love  purple, too!  This is so well written. I feel as though I was with y’all throughout the entire scenario. Thank you for sharing!

11. Exactly! The boots! You tried so hard shifting. Again the Purple Boots!