People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

1. Jo Garza says:

This is so hard, I feel that all the others before me have been sacrificed or even took their own life for this. I’m just figuring it all out and it’s wonderful, to share it to get cast away by the people. Treated different and even hated. I’m not strong enough to say what it is inside. It’s too revealing. But it is NIRVAVA…. BLISS!

2. Ruth Martin says:

Lovely! Inspiring! Heart and Soul combine in these directives. Thank you. And thanks for following @livmindful!

3. DrWh0 says:

Suzzy and Maggie Roche put this in song form, “Anyway” on the album Zero Church, released shortly after 9/11.

4. What a wonderful post. I love your words of wisdom and hope.

5. Julie G. says:

How beautiful and inspiring.  This was wonderful.  Thank you so much for sharing.

6. tercy says:

About Me: AM a loving person who so much believe in where and what life has for her,I love life,and i keep to love no matter what it takes in life.I am always trying to better my surroundings and the others that are in my life, I am adventurous . Always willing to try new things.I like the outdoors. i love golf playing, however , I do have a serious side as well . I do not have a hard time expressing my feelings and I don’t keep things bottled up.I really do not have any dislikes than some one lying to me,i love sports,i love watching TV,nice movies and so much.i have true love and i respect my relationship when am into it,

7. I appreciate the ‘frankness’ in this article. A good reminder why we need to move forward and succeed despite the negatives that will always be there… The upside is that we can choose to focus on the good and remember that the good triumphs over whatever negatives there are… just keep your eyes toward the sun(heavens) and keep on being authentically you!!

8. Renee says:

Wow, someone just gave me this poem in the library……must be providence..:-)

9. [...] The Paradoxical Commandments by Dr. Kent M. Keith July 27th, 2011 Click here for more information on the Paradoxical Commandments. [...]

10. sara says:

I am looking for a man that things good kind loving thoughts like this – are you are there Romeo ?

11. [...] Soulseeds » Blog Archive » The Paradoxical Commandments by Dr. Kent M. Keith Posted by MagMan on 11/05/2012 in Papers | ∞ soulseeds.com [...]

12. Fedor says:

Great Poem! I added soulseeds to my favorites. If you don’t mind I will publish this on my own blog (www.livingggood.com), I will mention soulseeds.com in the post! I collect poetry, videos, pictures and everything else that inspires and motivates people to be successful and live a life full of happiness.
    Thanks for inspiring the world, keep it up!

13. Kenneth Vogt says:

The power of both love and good come from the truth that they are not parts of some dualistic transaction where there is an opposite or an opposing force, or even just a required instigator or mandatory response. Unconditionality offers a level of freedom that literally can’t be measured because it is infinite. This idea of “love anyway” or “do good anyway” is really the only way to love or be good. You can examine this further here: http://www.veraclaritas.com/conditional-vs-unconditional/

14. This is beautiful. Imagine if we all did this…what a world it would be :)

15. Kandi says:

Everything in life is a choice. Every choice comes with risk. Relationships are worth risk. Always.

16. Listening says:

The first time I read through it spoke to me. I heard a heart speaking, opening up. Courage is choosing to make oneself vulnerable and to stay vulnerable despite pain. Those whose comments were thought provoking clearly love themselves and know they are worthy of love just as they are.

17. Mia Escobud says:

Love this, so true!

18. Vinod Sharma says:

This is a poem by Mother Teresa….. I love this Poem Like Anything. ( Vinod Sharma )