Tal Ben Shahar’s 6 Happiness Tips.

1. Give yourself permission to be human. When we accept emotions — such as fear, sadness, or anxiety — as natural, we are more likely to overcome them. Rejecting our emotions, positive or negative, leads to frustration and unhappiness.

2. Happiness lies at the intersection between pleasure and meaning. Whether at work or at home, the goal is to engage in activities that are both personally significant and enjoyable. When this is not feasible, make sure you have happiness boosters, moments throughout the week that provide you with both pleasure and meaning.

3. Keep in mind that happiness is mostly dependent on our state of mind, not on our status or the state of our bank account. Barring extreme circumstances, our level of well being is determined by what we choose to focus on (the full or the empty part of the glass) and by our interpretation of external events. For example, do we view failure as catastrophic, or do we see it as a learning opportunity?

4. Simplify! We are, generally, too busy, trying to squeeze in more and more activities into less and less time. Quantity influences quality, and we compromise on our happiness by trying to do too much.

5. Remember the mind-body connection. What we do — or don’t do — with our bodies influences our mind. Regular exercise, adequate sleep, and healthy eating habits lead to both physical and mental health.

6. Express gratitude, whenever possible. We too often take our lives for granted. Learn to appreciate and savor the wonderful things in life, from people to food, from nature to a smile.

1. shereen says:

Me as a person I was known as very determined, never believe in setback  always considered failure as a learning  opportunity and always look forward to the future, but all this changed recently,lately I am not looking after myself properly, I try to fit in to my day work more than I can cope with just to keep myself busy, so not to allow my mind to think, even my sleep became so disturbed, I wake up and most of the time cry, cry the wast of 5years of my life for nothing.

Im sorry to hear it Shereen. Sounds like you are in a nasty funk. Sending you good thoughts and power to get yourself out of the funk and get back to the essence of who you are. Stay in touch. I hope Soulseeds can offer you support.

3. shereen says:

Thank you Ian, I will definetly keep in touch , I believe soulseeds will offer me the support I need. Just reading through the articles was like washing made my eyes full of tears washing with it my pain.

4. Jennifer says:

Thank you so much for this great article.  I grew up with a lot of negativity that carried into my adult life.  As I get older and wiser, I am trying to learn to be happy and do “things” for myself.  It’s funny, the other day, I awoke to the greatest mood.  I sprung out of bed, I was so happy and full of energy.  But I had this nagging thought that kept popping into my head, “What if something bad happens?  What if it happens because you are so happy?  Don’t get used to this feeling, because soon you will go back to the way you were.”  I realized that I stand in my own way of happiness.  I have had so much “drama” in my life that I don’t know how to just be happy.  I have some work to do!!!

You sound very healthy to me Jennifer- honest and self aware. You see clearly how far you have come and you are motivated to be all you can be. Give yourself a break, and enjoy who you already are.

6. Jennifer says:

Thanks Ian :)

7. Julie Wise says:

Very simple wisdom, and so true! Thanks for sharing!

8. Pajero Tim says:

Excellent tips!
    I especially need to think about #4 as I know for a fact that the fewer things I have to focus on, the less stressed I am, the happier I become and the better I perform at those fewer things that are most important to me.

thanks for your comment Tim. I am exactly the same. Its a huge trap in today’s world.

10. fitfreaks says:

Nowadays, problem is that we all run for the money to achieve happy life. But, we all forget that happiness is not about luxury vehicle, cloths, shoes, etc. The happiness is all about inner satisfaction. Some people can be happy with just a pair of cloths, and some people need tons of clotns. I hope people will get what i want to say. These are just my views. :)

11. @MyolaEdwards says:

Thanks for writing this article. Often we can get caught up in the rat race of life and forget about the simple things.
    It is important to count our blessings, be thankful and to be content with what we do have. Then I believe more doors will open.

Sometime we are too hard on ourselves.  No wonder when media constantly project the message that we are not good enough the way we are, need to change or buy into the social norm; whatever that is and the norm for whom may I add.

Happiness comes from within and we have the capacity to be happy. Like Tal states happiness is mostly dependant on our state of mind.

The key ultimately is to positively love oneself that is the greatest lesson I have learnt and still continue to learn everyday.

12. Hi all
    Such truth written here. I have found my happiness within and live a beautiful life after hitting rock bottom nearly nine years ago. But it makes me feel so sad to know that others struggle today the way i used to. i found my answers, i found the key to unlock my answers…you see, all of your answers are already in your heart, waiting patiently for you to hear them, you just have to learn the skills to hear them. Going within and finding your silence is the best way (through meditation some would say) it gets easier with practice once you trust the answers are there youcan then access them easily. One of the most important steps is recognising what it is you actually desire in life…your heart intentions….how do you want to feel in your life then you can work out what will bring you that feeling….is it finding love, your soul mate? a rewarding career? releasing yourself from your past without judgement, and so on. I would love to help any of you struggling with life in any way i can…i’d love to share what i know to be true in my heart…for inspiration, guidance, support please visit my website http://www.awakentoyourheart.wordpress.com  of very useful resources, ones that really helped me to realise my dreams……

13. Love these 6 Happiness Tips! Tip 5 is so true for me; if I don’t sleep well, exercise and eat well, I’m a wreck! Really enjoy reading your posts. Thanks

14. [...] 6 Happiness Tips by Tal Ben Shahar. [...]