Stress Management

February 21st, 2013

A woman leading a stress management seminar walks around holding a glass of water. Everyone is expecting her to ask the common question, ‘half empty or half full?’  She fooled them all.  “How heavy is this glass of water?” she inquired with a smile.

Answers ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied , “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it.

If I hold it for a minute, that’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my right arm.

If I hold it for a day, you’ll have to call an ambulance. In each case it’s the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.

She continued, “and that’s the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won’t be able to carry on.”

“As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we’re refreshed, we can carry on with the burden – holding stress longer and better each time practiced.

So, as much as possible before you go to bed, put all your burdens down. Don’t carry them through the night… Pick them up tomorrow if they still need to be carried.

1. Sheila M says:

How very true.  Now I just need to learn how to lay it down and leave it there.

2. Pops Fassett says:

This is so true!  Had 5 strokes because of it.

3. Mark Council says:

For many years, I thought that I did a reasonably good job at managing the stressors in my life, until earlier this month when I had a heart attack while in the ER of my local hospital at the age of 50. Three weeks on and many of the challenges that precipitated my MI are still very much present in my life, though I am finding new ways of coping. Coping with the hardships of financial destitution can be painfully oppressing, but making smarter choices is paramount in creating new circumstances. Hardships temper our resolve and provide us the opportunity to know that we are all more than our problems. Slowly but surely I’m learning to grow beyond the perceived limitations of mine-

Great comment Mark, sounds like youre in turn around mode, doing a little internal spring cleaning. Keep going. Be WELL!

5. Thelma says:

I was so bad with stress , But as I live and breath I know now God is in control and after two heart attacks I let him in control and Life is Great.because I am right where he wants me to be.God bless and let  the stress go.

6. Kelly says:

My mother always told me to “give it to God”.  So at night, I would pass him all of my worries.  That worked for me.  When my daughter was little, she had an easier time with “worry dolls”.  I think they are an Incan or Peruvian thing.  She had a little box with about a dozen little tiny dolls inside.  She would take a doll out and give it a worry, and put it back to bed, then she could sleep.She doesn’t use the dolls any more.  She has learned to give it to God.  But those little dolls served their purpose!

7. Darlene says:

What a wonderful lesson in the value of proper stress management.  Some folks hold that “glass of water” for months and years.   Long-term chronic stress is a killer…we got to learn to “put the glass down” regular.