grand teton wyoming 2

“I always wanted a happy ending. I learned, the hard way that some poems don’t rhyme, and some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what’s going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity.” ~ Gilda Radner ~

I’ve had a new appreciation for the Easter story this year. Taking all the supernatural, guilt-laden, hocus-pocus out of it, I think it is a beautiful, timeless and inspiring story about change. Change always begin with an ending, a death of sorts and sometimes  an actual death, and ends with a beginning. In between it moves through an ambiguous zone of uncertainty when you don’t know what to do and where to turn. The new beginning arrives when you make a choice to move on, accept your situation, take the moment that is life and make the best of it. The Easter story reflects every story of change. May it be a time of healing and new beginnings for all of us.

If you would like to watch a video I made for the Soulseeds Garden community where I talk about this in more depth, please enjoy the video below. If you would like to join the Soulseeds Garden community, please sign up here.

1. Heather Lee says:

Thank you, Ian.I wonder how many people are watching this and thinking: Wow. This is just how it is for me, right now.Well, that’s what I’m thinking: ambiguity.  Crisis as things end and are not as you thought they would be.  Not knowing what’s going to happen next. Yep – that’s it here right now.So I don’t over-analyse. I just let it feel how it feels and let it be how it is.I drink tea; loved ones message each other; friends are there with support and love.Not knowing and feeling the hurt and fear; they seem to come from long ago and next week.So, to the last gem of advice: to make the best out of each moment, without knowing what happens next.That means that folding the washing and sorting some more papers have become like holy rituals, becasue they are good things to be doing and perhaps the best things for those moments.So are making someone a cup of tea; holding a hand; kisssing a forehead, reading and resting.Thank you.

2. Diane Lange says:

So good to see and hear you again, Ian.   Your message is very nourishing to me today.A couple weeks ago the Grand Rapids Guilda’s Club finished up 10 days of laughter -Laughfest (a fund raiser) and all was done in her name.  I worked the Fest with about 600 other volunteers and remembered daily that when Guilda got cancer she “lost her funny”.  And that was critical.  Laughter gives us distance from what we’re in. Gives us perspective, a way to live the ambiguity. ….And gives us a new view of Easter.  Thanks for the work you do.

3. Sandra says:

thank you for this wise, insightful, and powerful EASTER message.

4. Felicia says:

Wow.  What a “coincidence” for me to get this story in my mailbox this morning.  Thank you so much for sharing such profound wisdom and insight.  I feel so much more empowered because of it.Happy Easter. 🙂

thanks for your comments friends. Much love Felicia, very glad you feel empowered. Happy Easter Sandra. You made me smile Diane just thinking of you fondly, and Heather you are always an inspiration with your mindfulness and care. Love to all.

6. 'Annie' says:

And the biggest ambiguity we all face is death. Yes. Brilliant. Happy Easter!

7. J P says:

Great perspective. Thank you so much. Sometimes the simplest messages can be so powerful and for me, this was what I needed to find the right road and greatfulness today. Jp

8. Julie says:

Thanks Ian. I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Renal Cell Carcinoma that has metastasized to more places than I care to share (or think about). It is frustrating to go from appt to appt not knowing anything except it is not good. But, I am staying positive and controlling what I can with good nutrition, rest, meditation etc etc. It is posts like these that get me through. Delicious ambiguity. Love it!

9. Valerie says:

Thank you for your insightful and inspiring video.  I have just finished reading the Marcus Borg / John Crossan book, The Last Week, and teaching Sunday School classes about Easter.  Your reflection is a beautiful complement to that very scholarly work, and brings out such a powerful focus for thinking about the Easter Story in the broader context of our lives.

10. suzanne says:

I tended an Easter church service yesterday,where the Resurrection story was presented as fact. I would have loved to have it explained as a metaphor for change without the hocus pocus.

11. paul J reitemeier says:

Hi Ian,long time since.want to talk but havre had smart phone only 2 days and am an idiot using it. Would love to Skype but don’t know how. Can U help?  I start new job May 4th and may be better set then to speak  freely.  What do U suggesst? Better at computer if I had ur email.  Can’t express how much U n Meg have mattered to me these last few years. Blessed to know U even a little. Hope we can rebirth a good beginning soon. Have many questions, few answers, and maybe a little bit more to offer. Read your posts every week. Don’t stop. Don’t slow down U ARE ON THE RIGHT PATH.PAUL J. REITEMEIER

12. Alaa Khamis says:

Thank you very much Ian for the very nice article and video that really helped me a lot and I will share it with my friends. I had published an article that might be similar to that and had really helped other .  Will wait for your new articles and videos

13. Michael Krainak says:

Great stuff Ian.   Yes – the Easter story is one of the most wonderful stories of all time.  I agree with most of your conclusions.   There is a key factor that needs emphasis.  The Easter story moves us through change – but not just change – the Easter story moves us to embrace a new spirit – it is the spirit of love.  And not just a love that is “in our hearts” – but a love that is lived out in our being – our lives.    This is why the “reality” of the story is emphasized and “bothers” people so that the idea becomes “hocus pocus”.  But each of us can recognize when love is embraced and borne out in ourselves and each other.  The longer we are alive, the more we realize that what Gilda Radnor wanted IS present.  Gilda says further:   “The only thing that is certain is change. Joanna calls all of this ‘delicious ambiguity.’ ‘Couldn’t there be comfort and freedom in no one knowing the outcome of anything and all things being possible?’ she asked. Was I convinced? Not completely. I still wanted to believe in magic thinking. ”   Many poets and artists and dreamers believe that LOVE is “magic thinking”.  So if “love” is considered by some as “hocus pocus” – so be it.  But to many of us —- love is real —- and oh what “magic” lies in that “reality”.  Some may call this a “metaphor”.  But would you call “reality” a “metaphor”?